Thursday, July 18, 2013

How to Shrink SQL transaction log

So today I realized my SCCM 2012 reporting point server C drive is extremely low (Got an alert from Network Performance Monitor that I setup to monitor servers status). I then ran the freeware Treesize to view what is taking up so much disk space on my C drive, turns out to be my SQL Database.

Solution:

1. installed microsoft sql server management studio on the SCCM 2012 reporting point server..

2. login with administrator access user to shrinking the transaction log

3.. in object explorer, connect to an instance of the sql server database engine and then expand that instance.

2. expand databases and then right-click the database that you want to shrink.

3. point to tasks, point to shrink, and then click files.

4. select the file type and file name.

5. optionally, select the release unused space check box.

selecting this option causes any unused space in the file to be released to the operating system and shrinks the file to the last allocated extent. this reduces the file size without moving any data.

6.click ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment